Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any questions that are not answered below, feel free to contact us at 919-303-1990 or send us your question with our contact form. We will respond to your inquiry promptly.
- Why haven’t I heard of The Pet Pantry before?
- We may be new to you, but The Pet Pantry is coast to coast and growing all the time. We deliver millions of pounds of food to tens of thousands of customers. Rather than spending millions on advertising (like our competitors) our distributors live in your neighborhood and care about your pet. We want to personally earn your business.
- Is The Pet Pantry a Franchise?
- No, we are a LLC. We are a local business, and we are the one and only!
- Just how good is your Food?
- We take a lot of care and effort to blend a “super premium” product. Our foods are naturally preserved, fresh, no sugars, no dyes, no chemicals or pesticides, have yucca, kelp and contain many ingredient upgrades and is cooked by people who care about the quality of what they are making. We will be happy to show you the advantages of our products compared to what you are currently using. Good Dog magazine (a consumer report on the pet industry) rates us as having “high quality and excellent performance”. The Whole Dog Journal rates our Holistic line a “TOP RATED DOG FOOD”.
- I have been feeding the same food to my pet for sometime now and it seems to work. Why should I change?
- When it comes to your pet’s health, feeding lower quality food is just not good enough. We know quality nutrition promotes good health. We have all heard “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” At The Pet Pantry, not only can we provide you with quality nutrition, but we could actually reduce your cost per feed. As with people, proper nutrition shows the most results late in your pet’s life.
- Can you really bring it to my home and be competitive in price?
- YES! Because we do not spend millions on national advertising, middlemen, or expensive storefronts. We can also save you money over most grocery store brands because you feed less of our product. This also means you will have less to pick up in the yard and will be providing your pet with a more nutritious food!
- What if I run out of food over the weekend?
- No problem, just give us a call and if at all possible we will make a special delivery. We take our responsibility to you and your pets very seriously and do not want anyone to go hungry!
- What does meat meal mean?
- Meat meal, as in Chicken Meal for example, is derived from chicken meat, not by-products.* The 70% water is removed from the meat to form a concentrated protein meal. It is 91% digestible and 11-times more protein concentrated than meat. Brands that tout “real chicken or real beef” for example, count the weight of the water. With the water removed, it would drop from the first listed ingredient to about 7th. Now look at the ingredients that come ahead of it.*If derived from chicken by-products, it must be called Chicken By-Product Meal.
- Are your foods organic?
- Many formulas contain organic ingredients. While not 100% organic, all formulas follow the organic concept and are made with antibiotic free meat meal proteins, with no added hormones. Grains are pesticide free.
- My vet recommended a prescription food. I absolutely hate the ingredients and my dog won’t eat it. Do you have an alternative?
- IIt depends on what issue your pet is facing. Please talk with us and we can see if we might have a blend that would be appropriate. We will provide you with all of the nutritional information and you can discuss this with your Vet. We do not want you to take your pet off of a prescription food without consulting with your Vet.
- My dog stopped eating your food.
- After your pet has been on The Pet Pantry for 30-60 days she may back off on the amount consumed. This is because certain nutrients were missing from the previous brand. Once on The Pet Pantry it takes 30-60 days for your pets system to catch up. Once it reaches optimum levels, your pet will not need as much food. (This means lower feeding costs and less to clean up in the backyard.) Also, at six and twelve months of age, as their growth slows, their food requirements become less, so they will cut back.
- Since you are all-natural, what do you use to preserve your foods?
- We choose to use only natural preservatives that not only preserve the food but come with added health benefits for your pet. Our combination of mixed tocopherols, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid on our panels), Rosemary Extract and Vitamin E preserve the food but also provide additional antioxidants that scavenge free radicals and prevent cell damage.
- My dog won’t eat the dry kibble. What do you recommend?
- Although we see dogs get very excited over the flavor, there are some that prefer a softer kibble (especially if you have fed them a soft kibble in the past). We suggest adding a little warm water to the kibble. This helps to release the aroma of the food and will soften the kibble. We do recommend feeding dry kibble to help with their teeth and gum health.
For puppies specifically:
* Definitely add warm water to soften the kibble for their puppy teeth. When puppies are teething they may be shying away from hard food.
* A puppy’s tastes preference is sometimes determined by the diet fed to the mother. For example, if the mother was fed a lamb diet…the puppy may be inclined to prefer a lamb puppy food.
- Where are your foods made? And what are your quality controls?
- All of our dry kibbles are made to our specifications, ingredients and recipe, by Ohio Pet Foods and Hi-Tek Rations. Their plants are USDA, AIB and APHIS inspected. We work with only American companies. We purposely choose small, family owned companies that are as concerned about quality and your pet’s health as we are. Unlike many dog food companies we are proud to tell you who makes our food for us.We take quality control very seriously. We start by specifying that all ingredients are human grade quality. All of the incoming ingredients are sampled and tested before they are allowed into production. Our food is made to order in small batches to ensure you are getting some of the freshest food available. All Pet Pantry blends meet AAFCO feed trial and/or Nutrient Profiles.
- Do you perform any live animal testing?
- The Pet Pantry does not do any testing on laboratory or caged animals, or do we have a kennel facility or cattery. Members of our Breeder Advisory Council, using their personal pets, normally perform nutritional and palatability tests.
- I have a busy schedule. Just how convenient is it?
- You can order anytime on our website or by calling (919)303-1990 option 1. We deliver all around the Triangle Monday – Saturday and the Triad on Tuesday and Thursday, and you do not need to be home to get a delivery. We can also bring by many other items like biscuits, canned food, or treats, so we can be your one stop shop.